The sweatiest run of my life & Week 5 recap

At this point, I’ve started to get into a decent groove of balancing training, work and other things in my life, but it’s definitely put a damper on my energy levels outside of running. All I want to do after I’ve gotten home from work at night is throw on my comfy clothes, put on some crap TV show and veg out. Oh, and eat and eat, of course. My workout regimen is not all that different from before, but my mileage is going up and up and all of my running has been outside in varying degrees of heat and humidity. Not only that, but I’ve started doing all my running in the morning versus the evening. I’ve never been a morning person, and luckily my work hours permit me to sleep in a tad longer than the normal 9-5er, but I think all of that has impacted how I’ve been feeling throughout the day. I keep thinking that once the temperatures go down, everything will at least feel a little easier–but my runs will be longer. So it’s all a toss up!

Before I get into the actual recap, I wanted to briefly talk about two new pasta dishes I tried last week. One was a compete failure, and the other was passable, but nothing to jump about.

The first dish I tried was penne with sausage and broccoli rabe except I planned to substitute the sweet italian sausage with turkey sausage. I don’t even have a photo of this dish because it was an utter failure. I had major issues with the turkey sausage, so I ended up tossing it out, and while the broccoli rabe came out ok, it was just too overpowering (perhaps without the sausage). Needless to say, this will not be my pre-race dinner.



The second dish I tried was healthier as I used whole wheat pasta, zucchini, squash, spinach, onions, garlic and tomato sauce. While it came out fine, and I liked the zucchini and squash with the pasta, it was just SO bland. I realize that by using whole wheat pasta, I should have expected this, but I didn’t think it would be that bad. If I should try this recipe again, I will have do a lot of experimenting with the recipe. I also made WAY TOO MUCH, thinking I could have it for leftovers, which I did one day, but I wasn’t too thrilled about eating any more for the rest of the week.

Alright, onto the recap!

Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: 3 Miles.
I didn’t go to a Chisel class, or do any strengthening on my own. I was exhausted by the end of the day and I figured I was due a small break for the night if I was that tired, plus I figured it might improve the chances of a better mid-week longish run the following day.
Wednesday: 6 Miles
And yes, it did help! It was another hot, humid day, but I felt good and it went smoothly.
Thursday: 3 Miles + Chisel at night
Friday: Spin
I thought I was going to my favorite spin instructor’s class and was disappointed when I saw a sub, but she turned out to be decent and played pretty good music (for Spin, where your standards are lowered so much that pretty good music means she played songs that you might hear in Rock Band, versus music you would hear on a Cher techno remix album).
Saturday: Rest Day
Sunday: 12 Miles
Waking up, I had a feeling it was going to be a rough one. While it was hot and it could have been worse, the humidity percentage was at about 100 billion. It’s true. 100 billion. Adam was away on a work trip, and I had originally planned on running with the ASPCA, and while most normal people would probably prefer to get through these rough workouts with the support of other people, today I just wanted to plug my headphones in, turn the music up, and run. And that’s what I did. All things considered, it was a decent run as far as how I physically felt–no knee pain, shin pain, hip pain, any pain. But it was nasty. It was rough. And I can’t recall a moment in my life where I have ever been that sweaty. The only thing that was comforting was seeing fellow runners slogging through the thick, muggy air in the same fashion. And then all that comfort would be crushed after I’d see a young lady slowly prancing along without so much as a bead of sweat on her forehead. Jerk.

12 miles

Nike+ map does not look quite as nice as Garmin maps, but you get the picture.

Since I was running alone, I didn’t want to take an unfamiliar course, so I stuck to a route I have taken a number of times before, starting in Williamsburg heading towards the river, across the Williamsburg Bridge, and south along the East River until I was halfway through my miles, and ran a similar path back. I wasn’t too thrilled about running across the WB Bridge twice (and on the 10th/11th mile on the way back), but I suffered through it. I finished close to McCarren Park, as I typically do so I could pick up a Gatorade on the way home. When I got into the store, my shorts were dripping behind me and the five dollar bill I had crumpled in my Amphipod ankle pocket was soaked. I felt so beautiful.

12 Mile splits

Bridge miles underlined in red. Oy Vey.

I came home, showered, made some eggs and toast and headed out to the Brooklyn Flea where I spent about 10 minutes shuffling through the crowds and feeling uncomfortable from the heat, so I retreated home and didn’t go outside again. I thought I had properly hydrated. I had plenty of water during and after my run and choked down an entire Gatorate but I was extremely dehydrated the rest of the day and night. The injustice! Early to bed, early to rise, yet I felt hung over. Or “run over” as I like to call it. Yeah, yeah, stupid, eye-roll. Next week, I am working on my hydrating.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: